01 02 03 Ostriches Look Funny: The Lego that Crushed My Ego 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Lego that Crushed My Ego

34
"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
-Frank Leahy

Throughout my day I regularly receive commands from a small but authoritative voice.

The voice usually is saying, "Pway wegos wif me!"
Since I have been listening to this voice for some time now, I immediately understand this to mean, "Drop everything you are doing/holding/drinking/eating and sit down and play Lego's with me or I shall start to cry hysterically".

I try to comply with the demand as much as possible. Up until a second ago, I was going to write that the reason I comply has something to do with me being a good mother, and wanting to build memories and invest in my child's life. However, now that I have done some self reflecting, I must confess that I probably comply because I don't want the owner of the voice to cry and wake up baby. Building a Lego horse, another horse, another horse, a house, a tractor, and another horse seems like a small price to pay.

So, since today was like most days, I followed the directions of a two year old and stopped everything (goodbye wants and desires, hello brightly colored, interlocking blocks!). I was prepared to sculpt by request. What would be requested? Usually a horse. One time it was a vacuum and he cried every time it broke (Note: Lego vacuums were never intended for domestic use, the carpet fiber overwhelms them) and I spent A LOT OF TIME reattaching the "handle". I dismantled that horrid thing when he was asleep and I hope he never remembers how much he loves Lego vacuum cleaners...but I digress.

I sat down and the little voice gave me my building instructions: "Build gawbage mommy".

What?

I wasn't sure if my two year old internal translating system had failed so I asked for clarification. "You want me to build...garbage?"

"Yeah!"

I sat there. He looked at me expectantly. I stared at the Lego's. "Ookay..."

I put two small Lego's together. Stacked them simply, one atop the other, and handed it over to him. I was worried. Was this the "garbage" he wanted? Had I suceeded in pleasing the little guy? Had I found a way to make "garbage"?

"Canks mom" (Thanks mom), he said, nonchalantly. He put my Lego garbage in the back of his Lego tractor. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Despite my high opinion of myself, it wasn't very hard for me to make garbage. In fact, it was remarkably easy.


Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38