Several years ago, our family was staying with friends in Canada who had immigrated from Wales. While visiting, our hosts played us some music sung by a Welsh choral group in their native tongue, which they interpreted for us. The song told of parents whose children were leaving their homeland for new countries. At one point, our friends said, "Listen to this part - it's not words, really, but rather groans. The parents are torn - they want the best for their children, and yet they grieve at their parting." I remember at the time being a little teary hearing it, but at the same time not quite fully relating as we were still young parents raising our babies.
You know, when I was a young mom, women who were my age now would say to me, "Enjoy them while they're young...they grow up fast". I would always smile and nod politely, hiding my exasperation as I held one with a soggy diaper and two more grabbing each leg.
Then I blinked.
And here we are, with our eldest children grown and scattered across the world. My mama-heart does groan inside, but there's a grace to bear it that finds its strength in Christ. Oh, those Welsh parents of long ago, how much now do I respect their unselfish love. Unlike them, I have the blessings of technology that allow us to communicate within seconds. I am thankful that we have been a close family and that without regrets we can let them grow and find their life purposes.
In the profile of my blog, I refer to my children as four of the most interesting people I ever met. I mean it. But we can take no credit for it. My husband and I married young. We went into our marriage with lots of baggage and little in the way of parenting skills. But the desire of our hearts was a peaceful home and happy children, something we ourselves had little experience of while growing up. I was terrified of repeating history. Please believe that you have a heavenly Father who hears your prayers. We've made plenty of mistakes. But love covers a multitude of sins. We now have three adult children who are happily married and standing on the firm foundation that God alone can give, repeating His-story.
And I'm grateful for the one little birdie left in the nest. You ain't goin' anywhere, kid! (ha ha, just kidding - maybe...)